Senior Controls Engineer
Feyen Zylstra (FZ) is an Industrial Technology and Electrical Services firm committed to the ongoing growth of its business through strategies that build upon our reputation as an innovative problem solver and an employer of choice. Financial and cultural health are central to our success. Headquartered in Grand Rapids, MI with offices in Nashville, TN; Charleston, SC; Traverse City, MI; and Kalamazoo, MI, FZ’s 550+ employees are focused on the most complex industrial and institutional clients in the Midwest and Southeastern United States.
Candidate main responsibilities include, but are not limited to technical accuracy for designs, performance to budget and schedule, relationship development and leadership internal to FZ. This position reports directly to the Industrial Controls & Automation Group Leader and Account Manager. They will be regularly interfacing with our customers, supplies and vendors.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work on a single project with the oversight of a Senior Engineer / Account Manager; guide lower level engineers in day to day tasks.
- Perform as a technical lead for assigned project.
- Develop controls hardware design using AutoCAD Electric; lead others in completion of electrical design.
- Develop software design using Supplier software (such as Rockwell 5000, Siemens TIA).
- Educate / mentor level 1 engineers to develop future talent.
- Application of the NEC, NFPA 79, UL and OSHA standards related to project subject matter.
- Strict adherence to both client and department established procedures and work flows.
- Work with Group Leader / Account Manager to maintain team members, roles and responsibilities, and goals at the onset of projects.
- Act as the point of contact between the Senior Engineer and internal resources executing the customers work.
- Effectively communicate project requirements, status, and changes to the engineering team.
- Maintain record of project progress compared to plan. Effectively communicate issues with Senior Engineer.
- 7+ years of related experience in Instrumentation and Electrical Controls.
- Associate Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology or related (Bachelor’s Degree preferred)
- 7+ years of systems integration experience, preferably in high-level controls engineering role is required.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Proficient in at least 3 of the widely-used control system platforms, including current and legacy Rockwell systems, Siemens and Schneider are a plus.
- Must be able to travel approximately 25% throughout the year.
- Proficient with vision integration i.e. Cognex, Keyence
- Excellent communication and customer relation skills.
- Rational decision making and problem-solving ability.
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to develop contractor installation drawing packages using P&IDs, instrument, IO, and load lists as a basis of design.
- Perform electrical load calculations, specify required control devices and circuit protection, develop equipment specification for the procurement of instrumentation and control system using best engineering practices.
- SQL experience, Factory Talk, PanelView HMI, TP HMI, Rockwell PLCs, and Siemens PLCs competencies are preferred.
Successful leaders at FZ have a passion for people, a commitment to results, and a desire to be part of a highly functioning team. Our leaders are data driven, self-motivated, collaborative, and committed to the success of those around them. If you have passion for your work, a history of engaging others, experience as a high performing accountant, and the ability to move things forward we want to learn more about you.
We offer generous benefits, competitive compensation, paid time off, training and development, opportunity for growth, a safe work environment and the chance to work with a winning team in a great company culture. Candidates are required to pass a drug screen and physical. FZ is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or other protected classes. For more information on FZ, please visit feyenzylstra.com.