Feyen Zylstra (FZ) is an Industrial Technology and Electrical Services firm committed to the ongoing growth of its business through strategies that build upon our reputation as an innovative problem solver and an employer of choice. Financial and cultural health is central to our success. Headquartered in Grand Rapids, MI with offices in Charleston, SC; Nashville, TN; Traverse City, MI; and Kalamazoo, MI, FZ’s 550+ employees are focused on the most complex industrial and institutional clients in the Midwest and Southeastern United States.
Successful employees at FZ have a passion for people, a commitment to results, and a desire to be part of a highly functioning team. Our team is data-driven, innovative, collaborative, and committed to the success of those around them. Reporting to the Director of Safety, this role will implement safety programs, policies, processes, and practices to ensure that FZ has the safest and best-trained workforce in the geographic areas in which we operate.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Complete weekly job sites visit to conduct safety walks and site audits to coach and educate leaders and employees on safe work practices and to proactively identify safety issues and establish corrections and improvements
- Serve as the subject matter expert on safety issues, respond to safety-related inquiries from leaders and employees
- Help support leaders and employees with Job Hazard Analysis for advanced or unique scenarios
- Participate in job site level safety meetings with general contractors and/or other trade groups
- Investigate accidents and significant near misses for root cause determination, corrective action, and shared learning
- Provide on-call support for injury and crisis management, serving as the case manager for medical treatment, follow-up, and return to work.
- Participate in safety-related incident investigations and provide recommendations re: performance management
- Help conduct Safety Orientation to ensure all employees understand and value safety as a priority
- Communicates safety results to leadership, the organization, and employees
- Implement and maintain safety policies and procedures as needed due to legal changes or best practices
- Partners with OSHA to resolve any site safety issues
- Accurately complete, maintain, and report out on OSHA logs
- Create and/or maintain Tool Box Talks, distribute as needed
- Sets strategy for safety training, establishes the training program for all safety-related topics for leaders, current employees, and new hires, and builds and conducts training as needed.
- Oversee Safety Committee and solicit ideas for feedback
- Assess PPE and recommend changes as needed, train employees on PPE, and ensure compliance with PPE standards
- Respond to prequalification information related to Safety
- Facilitate the completion of safety drills on-site as needed
- Achieve and maintain Voluntary Protection Program status with OSHA
- Five or more years of experience in Industrial or Construction related Safety, including knowledge of and exposure to electrical related hazards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health & Safety or relevant degree and/or Journeyman or Master Electrician with equivalent experience and education.
- Demonstrates the technical safety expertise, coaching ability, and passion for the role
- Partners and collaborates effectively to create win-wins with internal operational partners and external partners
- Strong relationship building and influencing skills with the ability to balance education vs. accountability
- Exemplifies FZ’s core values and operates with a hungry, humble, and people-focused approach
- Computer savvy and skilled at Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and online software solutions used for Safety & Training
- Proven positive, professional, and approachable attitude with internal and external customers
- Thinks innovatively about how to solve problems and evolve or create new solutions.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and commitment to teamwork
- Organized, with the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to travel by car in the Greater Nashville area 3-5 days/week to conduct safety walks during job site visits
- Ability to travel 10% overnight via car or plane to visit remote job sites or other branches for safety activities
- Ability to provide 24 X 7 on-call support for safety emergencies or incidents that occur after hours or on weekends
We offer generous benefits, competitive compensation, paid time off, training and development, the opportunity for growth, a safe work environment, and the chance to work with a winning team in a great company culture. Candidates are required to pass a pre-employment drug screen. FZ is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or other protected classes.